Diabetic found with Painful Lipoma

Q: My mom has diabetes and was recently found with an approximately 5 cm sub-cutaneous extremely painful Lipoma in her upper back. What is or are her best treatment options? Thank you.

Symptoms:  Back Pain; weakness of her arms

A:   Thank you for your question. Lipomas are non-cancerous tumors comprised of fat (adipose tissue) which develop beneath the surface of the skin. In general, these lipomas may develop any complications, and in some cases, can resolve on their own. In your mother's case however, this lipoma has become inflamed. It is possible that it is increased in size which is causing this pain. The best treatment option for this is to have it surgically removed. This can be performed by a general surgeon or dermatologist in office, and will likely require one or two sutures. After removal, your mother will recover without complication. Please encourage your mother to have this lipoma evaluated, and removed if necessary.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com