Diabetic nerve damage in the foot

Patient

Q: I have type 2 diabetes and also have nerve damage to feet due to it. My big toe is turning black, why and what can i do about it?

Symptoms:  toe is turning black and there is numbness. also tingling and stinging
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Your toe turning black is a medical emergency. The complications of your diabetes has caused you to develop peripheral vascular disease, which affects the small blood vessels of your extremities such as your toes. Oxygenated blood is unable to circulate in these areas and the tissue in the area becomes ischemic (lacking oxygen) and eventually dies. The fact that it is turning black requires to go your doctor immediately to have it looked after, as this toe can become gangrenous, which can be a life threatening illness if you do not seek treatment immediately. Please seek medical attention as soon as you can.

Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com