Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Diabetic related yeast infections

Diabetic related yeast infections

Patient: My girlfriend is diabetic and as a result sometimes gets yeast infections. I understand this and she treats them if or when they occur according to her doctor’s direction. We occasionally had unknowingly had intercourse while the infection was present. I now have an itchy rash on my buttocks and inner thighs that present like a “male” yeast infection. Is it possible to have any crossover affect from sexual contact during such an episode? I am not looking for blame, just a possible source and treatment and future preventative action.

Symptoms: Itchy rash on buttocks

Doctor: Welcome to Ask The Doctor.We are here to help you.Definitely fungal infection can be transmitted from one person t o another through skin to skin contact or through fomites.The rash you have described seems to be fungal infection only.I prefer to give antifungals like fluconazole/terbinafine alongwith topical applicatuion of clotrimazole cream.You may take antihistaminics like levocetrizine for symptomatic relief.Visit your doctor so that he can examine you and give you prescription.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy.