Diabetic related yeast infections


Q: My girlfriend is diabetic and as a result sometimes gets yeast infections. I understand this and she treats them if or when they occur according to her doctor's direction. We occasionally had unknowingly had intercourse while the infection was present. I now have an itchy rash on my buttocks and inner thighs that present like a "male" yeast infection. Is it possible to have any crossover affect from sexual contact during such an episode? I am not looking for blame, just a possible source and treatment and future preventative action.

Symptoms:  Itchy rash on buttocks

A:   Welcome to Ask The Doctor.
We are here to help you.

Definitely fungal infection can be transmitted from one person to another through skin to skin contact or through fomites.
The rash you have described seems to be fungal infection only.
I prefer to give antifungals like fluconazole/terbinafine alongwith topical applicatuion of clotrimazole cream.
You may take antihistaminics like levocetrizine for symptomatic relief.
Visit your doctor so that he can examine you and give you prescription.
I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy.

Related Q&A

Q: My 68 year old father has been diagnosed with an unknown virus. Prior to this diagnosis, he was generally healthy, wi...

Q: Ive been so tired for months now! Out of the blie this morning I tested my fasting blood sugar level and it was 164. ...

Q: When my sugar is low I experience exaggerated movements. Why

Q: When my sugar is low I get exaggerated movements. This has happened 3 times now Why?

Q: Think have diabetes..dont have medical insurance nor a primary physician. Found a lab that will test for diabetes sho...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon