Diabetic symptoms and glucose tests

Patient: Recently, I have had several blood tests and a couple of glucose tolerance tests to determine if I have high blood sugar. All tests revealed that I was negative for diabetes; and I prepared correctly prior to taking the tests to avoid false positive results. Currently, I am still suffering from symptoms such as: – Unintentional weight loss (From 65kg to 54kg) – Feeling thirsty – Lack of energy – Constant headaches – Tingling feet – Feeling hungrier than usual – Eye irritation Is it possible that I have undiagnosed diabetes but with normal blood sugar levels?

Doctor: If you do have diabetes mellitus this would show with symptoms as well as in the blood sugar levels.The criteria to diag noses DM is as follows : Presence of diabetes symptoms + random plasma glucose of > 11.1 mmol/l OR fasting blood glucose of >7 mmol/l OR Oral glucose tolerance test 2 hour glucose level of >11.1 mmol/l.Your symptoms do suggest diabetes however they may also be related to other conditions like hyperthyroidism which is typically characterised by weight loss, increase appette, lack of energy,heat intolerance, palpitations, warm moist skin etc. You will need to see your family physician for a more indepth examination along with tests like thyroid hormones and maybe a two hour glucose challenge test also. All the best.

View all posts