Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Diabetic type I and Anabolic steroids

Diabetic type I and Anabolic steroids

Patient: I am a 32yr old type 1 diabetic with in great shape with a consistant A1c of 6.4. I weight 160 at 5’9″ and am considering using a cycle steroids. What advice than “dont do it” would you recomend?

Doctor: Anabolic steroids refer to hormones or pro-hormones that are either taken orally or by injection that influence the bod dy’s hormonal system to produce extra testosterone. The goal of taking anabolic steroids is to increase muscle mass. Anabolic refers to this muscle-building capability. The use of steroids suppresses the naturally occurring testosterone in the body and, in males, may lead to a decrease in testicle size (atrophy), decreased sperm production, infertility, acne and baldness. As well, the excess steroid can be converted to estrogen in males and may lead to enlarged breasts (known as gynecomastia). Liver damage may often occur, and liver cancer is a risk. Psychiatric effects of steroids include excitation and depression. Aggression is common. Manic episodes of aggressive behavior are known as “roid rage,” and violence may be the outcome. Depression and suicide may also occur. In the view of your previous medical history of Diabetes Type I being treated with insulin pump, I do not recommend that you take any anabolic steroid or “boosters” because it can disrupt your hormonal balance and besides the side effects mentioned before.