Diabetic with high urea and creatinine and sgot sgpt

Patient: My father who is a diabetic has his diabetes under control now, had fever since last three days and underwent blood and urine tests. The results showed BLOOD UREA 60 MG SERUM CREATININE 2 MG ESR 104 MM HR BILIRUBIN D 0.5 MG SGOT 76 SGPT 275 URINE ALBUMIN 2 plus PUS CELLS 6 to 8 BACTERIA PRESENT GRANULAR CAST PRESENT It would be helpful if you could tell me the ultimate condition of these results. thank you.

Doctor: The most probable cause of your father`s fever is an underlying urinary tract infection. However, from the results, it i s also probable that you father has diabetic nephropathy. In patients with diabetes, the kidneys become scarred over a period of time and start to leak protein (albumin) in the urine (urine albumin – 2). Why is this cause is not known. Poor blood sugar control, increased fluctuations in the blood sugar levels and high blood pressure make kidney damage more likely. Your father may need further tests like A1c and 24 hour urine protein to diagnose diabetic retinopathy. A kidney biopsy will confirm the diagnosis, however your father`s doctor will diagnose the condition without the need for a biopsy. The goal of treatment is to keep the kidney disease from getting worse. Treatment includes keeping the sugar and blood pressure under control. Also medications like ACE inhibitors and angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs) may be beneficial. I hope the information helps, take care.