Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Diagnosis of Clinical Depression

Diagnosis of Clinical Depression

Patient: Hi, My Names Sammie and For a year now I think I have for the past year I have Gained at least 10-15 Pounds, some weeks I gets Lots Of Sleep and others I don’t sleep at all,I wake up almost every day even after getting about 8 hours of sleep I still feel out of energy, I feel worthless,Guilty, and hopeless for everything, I can never pay attention in class. Its Hard for me to think so I don’t do very much Homework,and I have repeatedly been thinking about death and suicide, I have a Very low self-esteem and I I wanted to know If I May have Clinical Depression?

Doctor: From the description you have mentioned above, it seems that you have lost interest in life and daily activities, which may be associated with a psychological disorder most likely depression. For an accurate diagnosis I would suggest you to see your family doctor for a clinical evaluation of your symptoms, and if required a referral to a psychiatrist may be done for an accurate medical diagnosis and psychotherapy alongwith medications. Diagnosing and treating your condition as early as possible will help you feel better sooner.From the description you have mentioned above, it seems that you have lost interest in life and daily activities, which may be associated with a psychological disorder most likely depression. For an accurate diagnosis I would suggest you to see your family doctor for a clinical evaluation of your symptoms, and if required a referral to a psychiatrist may be done for an accurate medical diagnosis. Diagnosing and treating your condition as early as possible will help you feel better sooner.