Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Diagnosis of diabetes

Diagnosis of diabetes

Patient: What are normal blood sugar ranges for a teen-ager? I test my children periodically because I have T2 Diabetes. A few days ago, I tested my 17 year old daughter and it was 111 after not eating for 4 hours. So, I tested her again in the morning to get a fasting Blood Sugar and it was 123. Should I be worried and should I take her in to get her tested?

Doctor: The diagnosis of diabetes mellitus is easily established when a patient presents with classic symptoms of hyperglycemia (thirst, frequent urination, weight loss, blurry vision) and has a random blood glucose value of 200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L) or higher, and confirmed on another occasion. Other diagnostic criteria include: Fasting plasma glucose values ?126 mg/dL (7.0 mmol/L), two-hour post oral glucose challenge values of ?200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L), and A1C values ?6.5 percent. An abnormal result should be confirmed by repeat measurement with the same test. Once your daughter is above 16, the adult values are appropriate for reference. If you are concerned or she has any symptoms suggesting diabetes I would advise attending your family doctor for a fasting plasma glucose test.