Diagnosis of diabetes mellitus by fasting plasma glucose

Patient: Dear Doctor, I checked my fasting blood glucose level this mornong and found them to be 135mg. Am I diabetic. What is the stage of this diabetese is called

Doctor: The diagnosis of diabetes mellitus is easily established when a patient presents with classic symptoms of hyperglycemia (thirst, frequent urination, weight loss, blurry vision) and has a random blood glucose value of 200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L) or higher, and confirmed on another occasion. Other diagnostic criteria include: Fasting plasma glucose values 126 mg/dL (7.0 mmol/L), two-hour post oral glucose challenge values of 200 mg/dL (11.1 mmol/L), and A1C values 6.5 percent. An abnormal result should be confirmed by repeat measurement with the same test. I advise attending your family doctor for a repeat test, because these results need to be confirmed on a repeat test, for diagnosis to be complete.