Diagnosis of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

Patient

Q: I was diagnosed with PCOS. I'm 27. My lab test come back normal so does that mean I don't have it, My doctors office is closed and I cant wait

Doctor

A:   The typical lab finding in polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) is a ratio of Lutenizing Hormone (LH) to Follicle-Stimulating Hormone (FSH) of 3:1. Because of the pulsatile nature of gonadotropin secretion, there is a wide "normal range" for both LH and FSH. Therefore, a single blood sample from a patient with PCOS will frequently be within normal range. A normal lab result does not exclude PCOS. I would advise discussing your symptoms, clinical examination findings and laboratory investigation results in detail with your family physician or gynaecologist, to understand the features of this syndrome.