Diastasis Recti in a 3 years old girl.

Patient

Q: My daughter, who is 3 yrs old now, has had diastasis recti since she was born. The Dr. said it would go away, but it has not. She still cannot jump and she walks with her belly protruded. I read that untreated diastasis recti could cause low back pain when she is an adult. What is the best way to treat this for her age?

Doctor

A:   The Diastasis Recti is a common condition in premature newborns, in infants is shown when the baby tries to sit up. In kids the rectus abdominis muscles continue to grow and the Diastasis Recti tends to disappears progressively, but surgery might be needed if the baby develops a hernia that becomes trapped in the space between the 2 muscles. So, in the view that your child is only 3 years old,  I recommend you to wait and see if the condition disappears with the growth process.