Diazepam and pregnancy

Patient

Q: Hi!

I am currently 4 weeks pregnant. I know that high doses of diazepam taken regularly may harm the unborn baby. However, I have read contradictory information about low doses taken occasionally. I understand that no doctor can say what is a safe limit, but I would want to know what kind of doses are associated with marginal or relatively low risks.

I suffer from severe social anxiety and the thing is that I can’t cope with certain social situations without diazepam. To cope I would need to take 5-15 mg diazepam maybe 1-2 times a week.

I am currently unemployed and trying to find a job and planning university studies. Without diazepam I would have to abstain, for example, from job interviews, entrance exams to university and certain types of social gatherings. Can you give an opinion if I shoud abstain from all of this or is it relatively safe to take a low dose of diazepam occasionally?

Thank you for the answer!

Doctor