Did i get a level 1 sprain on my ankle.

Patient

Q: During gym, we were doing basketball and i landed weirdly on the side of my foot after a layup. after, it began hurting a lot seconds after, at one point i have to sit and put my weight on my other foot because of the pain, my question did i sprain my ankle? ,

Symptoms:  A lot of pain, but no swelling/redness
Doctor

Welcome to Ask The Doctor. Thank you for your query.

It seems that you have sprained your ankle by twisting it.

You should start doing RICE treatment on the ankle as soon as possible. RICE stands for Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation. Here are the steps involved in RICE.

1. Rest - Rest the affected area. Reduce movement of the ankle and avoid putting excess weight on it,

2. Ice - Ice the ankle joint for 15 minutes every hour and keep the ice off the ankle for 45 minutes. Do this 5 times a day.

3. Compression - Tie a Crepe Bandage around the wrist to lessen the swelling around the ankle. Do not tie the Crepe Bandage too tight to prevent blood flow.

4. Elevation - Elevate the ankle so that blood flow is towards the heart. This will prevent blood from accumulating in the ankle and reduce the swelling.

If the swelling and pain persists despite the RICE therapy, please consult an Orthopedician.