Did I re-injure my knee or could it just be scar tissue breaking up?

Q: Hello!
Some back ground- I have had 2 knee surgeries on my left knee. One in January 2011, with a torn medial meniscus (minor tear) and an ACL tear. Then a second surgery in September of 2011, with a torn medial meniscus that had to be surgically repaired.
This past Friday, I was throwing the football with my friends and when I jumped up to catch the ball I landed funny. I felt a pretty big pop and had a lot of pain on the side of my knee where my meniscus was repaired. My knee immediately started swelling, couldn't bend my knee at all, and I couldn't walk (this was probably the worst pain out of all three incidents as I have been able to walk after the previous 2). This went on for the rest of the weekend, and I was in so much pain that I couldn't sleep. I took Advil and kept my knee on an ice machine. However, finally last night I was able to sleep and I woke up with very minimal knee pain and swelling.
Originally I though I tore my meniscus again. However, with the pain and selling decreasing so rapidly, I was wondering if left over scar tissue from the previous injuries could have caused this much pain.

Also, I am an avid runner (I train for 1/2 marathons) and work out a lot. Recently (started in October of 2013) I have felt this deep popping in my knee when I walk, especially after exercise. It kind of feels as if my knee is catching on something, however, it's not painful, just very annoying. I went to my orthopedic doctor and they did an MRI, but were not able to see anything due to scar tissue build up in my knee and said that it was possible that my meniscus could have been torn. Since I am a college student 4 hours away from home and my knee wasn't bothering me too much, my parents and I decided to wait until the summer to look at the issue further.

Symptoms:  immediate swelling after injury, couldn't bend knee after injury, a lot of pain on the side of my knee. Now, 3 days later, I can walk around with minimal pain, my leg feels very weak though (but I don't know if it's just because I haven't used it in 3 days).