Did I sprain my knee or tear a ligiment??

Q: I fell and hit my knee cap on my door frame. What kind of damage could I have done to my knee? Its weak and painful at times to walk and its been about 3 weeks since the fall

Symptoms:  Painful knee, knee cap hurts, back of knee feels weak, innner right knee is sore

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your question and I feel that you have a soft tissue injury. In your case, I think that you have injured the knee which is causing the pain and the swelling.

Here are is a therapy you can try to help you:
Rest the knee. Avoid walking too much
Ice the are for 15 minutes every hour 5 times a day
Compress the knee by using a crepe bandage or a knee sleeve
Elevate the knee to allow blood to get back to the heart
Also, take tablet Paracetamol to help reduce the swelling.

This should help in 5 days. All the best and wish you a speedy recovery.