Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Did I sprain my knee or tear a ligiment??

Did I sprain my knee or tear a ligiment??

Patient: I fell and hit my knee cap on my door frame. What kind of damage could I have done to my knee? Its weak and painful at times to walk and its been about 3 weeks since the fall

Symptoms: Painful knee, knee cap hurts, back of knee feels weak, innner right knee is sore

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.I have gone through your question and I feel that you have a soft tissue injury. In you r case, I think that you have injured the knee which is causing the pain and the swelling.Here are is a therapy you can try to help you:Rest the knee. Avoid walking too muchIce the are for 15 minutes every hour 5 times a dayCompress the knee by using a crepe bandage or a knee sleeveElevate the knee to allow blood to get back to the heartAlso, take tablet Paracetamol to help reduce the swelling.This should help in 5 days. All the best and wish you a speedy recovery.