Did implantation really just happen?

Patient

Q: Hi! I recently just got off my period 3 days ago, and had unprotected sex the day after. Around thirty minutes ago, I experienced light bleeding that I can only assume is spotting, that turned to a light pink color. Is it possible that this could be implantation, so soon? It's literally been 3 days since my last period.

Symptoms:  Spotting
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Implantation of a fertilized egg usually occurs between 6-10 days after ovulation. If you had unprotected sex, it is entirely possible that you can have become pregnant and the bleeding you are experiencing is related to implantation. However, it is not uncommon for a woman to experience spotting after their menstrual period concludes. This is due to hormonal fluctuations surrounding your menstrual cycle. It would be best advised that you proceed to your doctor in the next few days to conduct a pregnancy to determine if you are in fact pregnant.

Thank you for choosing Askthedoctor.com