Did my water break?

Q: I was 34 weeks pregnant last week when I released a gush of fluid. It wasn't enough to make a huge mess just enough to make me need to change underwear. This happened 3 times in a row. The fluid was odorless and colorless. I just thought it was vaginal fluid. I just saw my dr. today for my weekly checkup. I forgot to mention it to him. I don't think it was anything serious but now I'm kind of worried about it. I haven't had any contractions yet and I'm only dialated to 1 cm.

A:   It is difficult for me to tell whether you've had a premature rupture of membranes. Premature rupture of membranes occurs in about 3% of all pregnancies and leads to an early delivery. Assessment of a rupture of membranes involves taking a proper medical history, internal examination and nitrazine or cytologic test and ultrasound. I would advise that you speak to your doctor to determine whether the discharge was indeed due to rupture of membranes.