Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Did the abortion pill work?

Did the abortion pill work?

Patient: Am I still pregnant? After taking cytotec (misoprostol) to induce an abortion. I did an ultrasound to see if it actually worked or not. The photo of the ultrasound result has been attached. I want to know if I am still pregnant.

Symptoms: After an abortion attempt with Cytotec an ultrasound scan showed a normal sized anteverted uterus measuring 77 by 54mm with uniform myometrial echotexture. Endometrial plate is thickened (18mm). Both adnexa are relatively free. No free fluid collection in pouch of douplas.

Did the abortion pill work?-1

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.Unfortunately your attempt of abortion with Cytotec has failed and the pregnancy is st ill present is the womb, well indicated by decidualization of endometrium and thickened endometrial thickness, though there has been no mention of gestational sac, indicating a very early pregnancy.Cytotec alone cannot indie complete abortion. There is a set protocol depending on the period of gestation which has to be followed under the supervision of your physician to establish completion of abortion. Such home based self-attempts should be avoided as they may prove to be dangerous sometimes if the bleeding occurs in excess and cannot be stopped. To avoid such instances, this should always be attempted under supervision.I hope I have answered your query in detail,Regards