Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Didnt finish antibiotics

Didnt finish antibiotics

Patient: I was prescribed antibiotics that I was supposed to take 3 times a day for one week, however I forgot to finish the medication and have 2 pills left. It’s been a week since I took the last dose so im wondering if its okay for me to finish the medication now or whether I should not take it. Thanks!

Symptoms: Coughing

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.Antibiotics have to be taken at a stretch and the course has to be completed in one shot, by doing so , you will avoid developing resistance to the drug and the organisms will be killed on finishing the course. If discontinued anytime in between, the whole course has to be taken again.But in your case as you have missed only 2 pills, it is not a critical issue. You may leave it at this, taking the remaining pills after a long gap will not serve any use.Hope this helpedRegards