Diet for bodybuilding after Bariatric Surgery

Q: I had Bariatric surgery approximately one year ago and have gone from 325lbs to 173 lbs. I am happy with the weight loss but want to add muscle so I can become more fit and look a little better. I currently work out with a trainer, but he wants me to eat six meals a day. I follow the bariatric diet and get plenty of protein, but can't eat as much as he would like. My question is this, is there a way to eat after surgery that will give me the max benefit and help me to gain muscle. I work out hard and am not gaining as much as I should, and I am sure it is because of my diet. Thank you for any insight.

A:    Most importantly at this point after your surgery is to follow the bariatric diet and space the meals so you can eat 6 meals a day, watching the calories, and the protein content. If you keep a balanced and healthy diet you should have all your protein requirements covered. If you want to increase the protein in your diet without over eating, these are the most common types of protein powders used by bodybuilders and athletes: Egg, Casein, and Whey. Casein has a high glutamine content( amino acid glutamine), which can benefit bodybuilders and athletes by helping preserve muscle mass and aiding immune system function, also has more absorption. Casein protein digests slowly, making it an ideal protein to consume before bed time, or anytime throughout the day when there will be a prolonged amount of time between meals. Egg protein is absorbed by the body at a rate in between the fast absorbing whey protein, and the slow absorbing casein protein. You can eat hardboiled eggs instead of spending money on egg protein. Egg protein is low in calories and has a great amino acid profile. Egg protein can be consumed at most meals throughout the day.  It's also a good choice if you are trying to cut body fat. Whey protein is the most commonly consumed type of protein supplement on the market.  It's easily digestible, has an extremely high biological value, and is relatively inexpensive. Whey protein may help stimulate muscle growth by increasing insulin-like growth factor-1. Since whey protein is the fastest absorbing protein, consuming it before and after your workouts is ideal.  Consuming it in the morning along with another type of protein is also advisable.