Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Diet for patients with liver disease

Diet for patients with liver disease

Patient: Goodday, I do not see the specific category for my question. I had Liver problems, I was in Hospital for some time. It is a year later now and my liver is doing much better. I want to know what is the best food to eat to help my liver to work better and to heal even more. Also which vitamins is the most important for me to use? Thank you

Doctor: The liver has many functions : it is a filter and cleanser for toxins/harmful substances in the blood, it helps to store vitamins and minerals and helps in the production of bile, cholesterol for proper digestion of food. There are many things that you can do to decrease the stress on the liver :i) Avoid substances that causes stress to the liver such as fats, alcohol and certain medications such as tylenol.ii) Consume food containing folate, magnesium, iron, selenium and vit B complexs. Salads, beans, fuit juices contain these minerals.iii) Drink plenty of water, aim at drinking more than 2.5 litres of water a day.iv) Eat foods rich in antioxidants like berries, broccoli, tomatoes and green tea.v) Do regular exercise like walking, swimming or cycling.