Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Diet pills for weight loss, safe??

Diet pills for weight loss, safe??

Patient: I’m 15 years old and overweight. When I did lose weight before but it caused weakness, vomiting, terrible stomach pain, and headache. I was wondering can I take diet pills without all the pains?

Doctor: Diet pills may not be safe or a sure measure for weight loss as their action and effects may be unknown. Instead you may consult a dietician for a diet plan that best works out in your case for a gradual, sustained weight loss, preferably a low carbohydrate diet rather than a low calorie diet. Foods high in digestible carbohydrates like bread, pasta etc.are limited or replaced with foods containing a higher percentage of proteins and other foods low in carbohydrates like poultry, fish, shellfish, eggs, cheese, nuts, seeds, peanuts, vegetables and fruits.