Dietary restrictions with kidney stones

Patient : Can i drink decaf coffee with a kidney stone if i wash it down with three cups of water and also can i eat lets say a bagel and hamburger but with no salt
Doctor :   Dietary restrictions may be necessary depending on the type ofkidney stone you have. Stones may be composed of mainly ca lcium, urate, struvite or cystine. Approximately 80 percent of patients with kidney stones form calcium stones, most of which are composed primarily of calcium oxalate or, less often, calcium phosphate. The other main types include uric acid, struvite (magnesium ammonium phosphate), and cystine stones. Analysis of the stone is an essential part of the evaluation. If you do not know the composition of the stone it can be presumed to be of calcium origin. You need to be tested for certain medical conditions that predispose to stone formation.In addition to this it would be advisable to drink more fluids to decrease the risk of another stone. The goal is to increase the amount of urine that flows through your kidneys and also to lower the concentrations of substances that promote stone formation. One expert recommends drinking enough fluid that you make about 2 liters of urine per day. Consult your urologist for advice specific to your case. Therefore I see no problems with your previous food choices.