Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Difference between Boderline personality disorder and Multiple personality disorder

Difference between Boderline personality disorder and Multiple personality disorder

Patient: I’m really into learning about Disorders. A friend of mine has DID(MIP) and I’m starting to see other name for DID. I want to know is Personality Disorders, “Dissociative” Personality Disorders, and Borderline Personality Disorder the same or do they both end up mean Multiple Personalities?

Doctor: Boderline personality disorder is a personality disorder or a personality trait in which the individual is impulsive,and have a pattern of impulsive and unstable relationships along with fear of being left alone, abandoned  and have issues with anger management. Multiple personality disorder or Dissociative identitiy disorder on the other hand is a pathologic personality disorder in which the individual takes up dual roles/personality traits and these keep interchanging.They have memory loss, lack of insight on the problem, depression or manic history,panic attacks ,phobias and other pyschiatric illnesses. Thus these are 2 different entities with different clinical presentations and boderline personality disorder sometimes being a variant of a normal personality trait .