Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Different Causes of Anal Bleeding

Different Causes of Anal Bleeding

Patient: For the past month now I have had blood when i wipe myself in the morning. the weird thing is i haven’t even had a bowel movement yet and there usually isn’t any when I do. Could it be from passing gas? I’ve been to the doctors twice and both times they said hemmroids and gave me a suppository however the problem still persists. I have no pain but some slight discomfort but not in that area however. the discomfort is around my love handles and groin area. any suggestions? thank you

Doctor: Hemorrhoids can have painless rectal bleeding. Another common cause of rectal bleeding is anal fissure. Colon cancer, al though relatively rare in your age group, can also cause bleeding. Passing gas is very unlikely to cause bleeding. The suppositories for haemorrhoids are only symptomatic treatment, it is not definitive. The definitive treatment for haemorrhoids is surgery. I would suggest you talk to a surgeon so a proper physical exam and tests can be done; you ask about your options regarding the haemorrhoids. I do hope this helps. Take care.