DIFFUSE ANNULAR BULGING IN INTERVERTEBRAL DISCS L4/L5

Patient

Q: DIFFUSE ANNULAR BULGING IN INTERVERTEBRAL DISCS L4/L5
Few weeks bck...I had a sharp pain in my right buttock after my evening run. My doctor thought it to be sum muscle sprain but i didnt go after taking medication. Now a week back a slight pain appeared in my lower back..my doctor asked me to go for a mri scan nd told me that i have a small sprain in discs l4/l5 and i shud be careful for 5 mnths without any physical activity and strain. in mri report, it is said that i have diffuse annular bulging of intervertebral discs l4/l5. What is my condition. Iam an athlete and do my regular weight training and running.is my career finished?

Doctor

A:   Hello
Thank you for posting your query on ATD.

I have gone through your query and understand your concern. Your MRI report show diffuse annular bulging disc. Its treatment is rest in the lateral position with both hips and knees flexed and analgesic such as ibuprofen for pain relief. You are advised not to indulge in strenuous activity for at least 2 months. Then you can start strengthening exercises with gradually increasing in strenuous activity. Your career is not finished, but a gap of few months is required to settle it down. You can also get your vitamin D level and if found low then vitamin D3 supplements can be taken.You can discuss with your treating doctor about it.
Hope your query get answered.

Wishing you good health.
Take care.