Digestive problems and increased bloating sensation

Q: I'm 22 years old and I think there is a problem with my digestive system. As soon as I finish eat I feel sick and just need to lye down if I move about I feel upset . this cause me alot of laziness for the whole day I dont even want to go anywhere just want to watch tv. I also feel bloated,puffy and I have alot of gas in my system.Please give me advice on it. should I check a doctor .P.S I am 4ft 7inches and weigh 120 lbs,I also work a secretary and its difficult to get excercise

A:   The symptoms you describe could be suggestive of irritable bowel syndrome. This can only be diagnosed in the absence of other organic disease. I advise attending your family doctor to pinpoint a diagnosis, as standardised criteria is available to follow which help to formulate a clinical diagnosis in IBS. Treatment of IBS varies according to the type of irritable bowel syndrome present but can include anti-spasmodic medication and dietary modification that can be prescribed by your family doctor. Dietart modifications include exclusion of foods that increase flatulence (beans, onions, celery, carrots, raisins, bananas, apricots, prunes, brussel sprouts, wheat germ, pretzels, and bagels) should be considered. An increase in the intake of fiber is often recommended, either through diet or the use of commercial bulking supplements may also help.