Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Diphenhydramine HCI 50 mg daily with Zyrtec 10 mg

Diphenhydramine HCI 50 mg daily with Zyrtec 10 mg

Patient: I am taking diphenhydramine HCI 50 mg per day. Along with 1 tablet of zyrtec. I have been taking them both for a while. Should I stop using the Diphenhydramine? The problem is I feel it is the only thing that helps my allergies. I use to have chronic sinus infections but now since taking both daily I have not had a sinus infection in almost a year.

Symptoms: Nasal Congestion, Blocked sinus, nosal dryness, itchy eyes

Doctor: Thank you for your question. If diphenydaramine 50mg is providing you with adequate relief, and you are not experiencing any adverse side effects of this medication, then you may not need to stop this medication. If there is a specific reason as to why you would like to discontinue the treatment with this medication, please see your doctor for further evaluation and discuss your reasons for stopping.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com