Diprovate Cream Discontinuation

Patient

Q: Hi Doc
I have been using diprovate plus (Betamethasone Dipropionate and Zinc Sulphate Cream) on my face since last 4 years.
I am 20 now and tried to discontinue this cream several times but after 4-5 day my face get full of rashes and pimples.
Consulted several dermatologists but that didn't helped.

Symptoms:  Rashes on face
Doctor

A:   Hello. Welcome to ask the doctor.

Diprovate is a steroidal cream which makes the skin to glow and shine initially, but the skin gets addicted to it simultaneously.
On withdrawal, various side effects appear like flare of pimples, pigmentation.
I usually advise my patients to slowly taper the steroid by shifting to milder potency steroid and ultimately stop it completely.
Along with oral antibiotics like doxycycline/tetracycline is also started.
Topical benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin also help.
Consult your Doctor and share my opinion with him.

I hope it helps.
Take care.