x
154 Physicians Online

Question:

Disc degeneration,bulging ,scoliosis and MS?

My husband has had increased back pain...we have been told he has a very minor disc bulge and disc degeneration along with scoliosis however none are severe enough for his level of pain. He also has severe heartburn, headaches, and random weakness in the legs....resulting in his falling so often that if he is away from home anymore we take a wheelchair to ensure his safety. Excessive vomiting, along with trouble breathing and swallowing ...most often at night. When his pain level is high his body literally trembles and he has little to no feeling n his rt leg and arm. constant pins and needles pain. Could this be MS?

Answer:

Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a progressive disease that attacks the central nervous system (CNS) and affects multiple systems of the body through the attacks on the nervous system. The disease is characterized initially by episodes of reversible neurologic deficits, which, in most patients, are followed by progressive neurologic deterioration over time. The cause of the disease is not known, but it likely involves a combination of genetic susceptibility and an environmental trigger factors as stress, resulting in a self-sustaining autoimmune disorder that leads to recurrent immune attacks on the CNS. As you can see, the MS is an autoimmune disease, multifactorial. In many studies and by the experience of people with Multiple Sclerosis (MS), stress has been implicated in the onset or exacerbations of the disease. But there are other studies showing that contrary to popular belief, stressful life events do not appear to be linked to the risk of developing MS. Exacerbations are a clinical reflection of increased inflammatory activity in the central nervous system. They occur in an unpredictable fashion, but the consensus is that they are mediated through immunological mechanisms. Psychological stress is an additional factor that has been implicated repeatedly as a determinant of disease activity. There is no single-test for diagnosing Multiple Sclerosis, but a combination of comprehensive Neurologist evaluation, MRI, spinal tap and evoke potential tests may help all together to confirm a diagnosis.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA