Disc fusions recovery time

Patient : I am scheduled to have discs 3,4,5,6,7,8 fused. how long is the recovery for this? How long is this surgery if no complications arise?
Doctor :   Thank you for your question. Spinal disc fusion surgery is a very complex surgery which can take more than 4 hours to co mplete. This time can vary depending on the surgeon, and if complications arise or not. The recovery time after this surgery can take up to 6 months. The first two to three months require the most work as your range of motion will be limited, and you may be in considerable pain. After adequate healing is achieved then you will need to undergo physiotherapy to regain your range of motion and learn how to ambulate with fused intervertebral discs. Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com