Discharge Before Urine And Pain

Patient

Q: Hi i am 20 years old virgin female ......... i have very small yellow discharge before urination (sometimes transparant ...sometimes white) and pain and burn during urination ????? is it dangerous?? i wear tight underwear and they are not always cotton i have douche with dettol soap i dont drink enough amount of water e.g. 2 glasses per day ....... is there any relation? plz help.... thanks

Doctor

A:   Discharge and burning sensation on urination are symptoms of urethritis caused due to inflammation of the urethra due to infection. I would suggest that you see your doctor for a swab and urinalysis to identify the organism. Antibiotics may be required in the presence of infection. Which drugs are prescribed and for how long depend on your health condition and the type of bacterium found in your urine. Usually, symptoms clear up within a few days of treatment. But you may need to continue antibiotics for a week or more. You can also try drinking lots of cranberry juice. It has an effect of detaching the bacteria from the urethra. I hope this helps, take care.