Dislocated/fractured collar bone

Q: Hi I am wondering if I should get surgery on my collar bone. I am a 17 year old male and about a year and a half ago I dislocated and fractured my collar bone during a hockey game. I was out of sports and was doing physical therapy for about 4 months. I was planned to get surgery however we changed our minds a week prior. I am currently playing football and I have noticed that during and after games my collar bone gets very fatigue and sore and causes my neck to be sore as well. On occasion when I throw the ball there is a shooting pain. Also, this is not often, but I have woken up from sleep at night due to the severity of the pain in my collar bone. Another problem I have is when I am working out, especially when on the bench press, I hear a popping noise in my collar bone and it becomes very uncomfortable. Lastly, at the end of the school day from wearing my backpack all day, my neck and collar bone is very sore and fatigue. My main concern is that I play hockey in the winter and lacrosse in the spring and I do not want this to keep affecting my ability and the way I feel afterwards. Any advice would be great. Thank you.

Symptoms:  Soreness, occasional shooting pains, stress in the neck area, waking up from sleep

A:   Thank you for your question. If you were recommended by your doctor that you will require surgical repair of your clavicle before you go back to playing sports, it is perhaps that the fracture you sustained could not heal adequately. Unfortunately, you may require surgery to have this properly repaired in order for your to recovery fully. The pain you are experiencing may be due to inflammation, and swelling caused by an inadequately healed fracture. We strongly recommend that you return to your doctor for reevaluation of your injury and we also recommend that you refrain from competitive sports and strenuous activity until your clavicle is healed.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com