Dislodged or dislocated lymph node in neck.

Patient

Q: Wasn't sure where to put this but I've recently noticed that I have a floating lymph node in my neck. The same gland that swells when you have strep. The what I mean by floating is its kind of hanging, the other one is where its supposed to be near my chin line. So they're uneven. I've researched this and I haven't been able to find an answer as to if it can be popped or put back in place. When you move it around its very lose and I'm able to more or less roll of in my back. I'm unsure of this is going to cause a problem in the future since its not causing a problem now, I just want to get it taken care of. Any help that you guys are able to tell me is greatly appreciated. Beyond this I'm completely healthy and nothing is wrong, its just kind of awkward.

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. We cannot be certain that this mass that you feel in your chin could be an enlarged lymph node. Usually lymph nodes are fixed in position and can only move very slightly. It is possible that this movable mass that you are feeling could be a cyst. A cyst is a fluid filled mass that can occur beneath the surface of the skin. Such masses could be composed of a fluid filled obstructed sebaceous gland. The location of your mass, beneath the chin, leads us to hypothesize that this could be a thyroglossal duct cyst. This type of cyst is formed from a remnant of the thyroglossal duct. This is a structure that naturally develops during fetal growth. It can persist throughout life, well into adulthood creating a nidus for fluid accumulation and the formation of a cyst. It is important that you have this mass examined by your doctor. Given the fact that you are not unhealthy in any way, it would be best to ere on the side of caution and promptly have this evaluated. It may have to be surgically removed, or biopsied if your doctor is unable to determine what this is based on physical examination.

We hope this explanation has helped you.