Q: Hello,

I am 25 and have had this problem for a long time but just realized that they might actually be "problem" since it has been happening more frequently. I have never had any psychological problems or physical conditions. I am in good health and work out regularly.

I "zone out" in many instances in my life. During reading, I start reading but by the end of the sentence I realized I only actually read the first 2-3 small words and my eyes kept going and my brain shut off. I retry it 3-4 more times before I manage to make it through the sentence by either going very slowly and processing every word individually or by speeding through it hoping I got the general idea.

During conversations, I listen to someone talking. I then wake up and realize that I missed 5-10 seconds of what they said even though I was watching them talk the whole time. Then while they are still talking, I am sitting there wondering what they are saying for another 10-20 seconds because I cant make sense of the sentences.

During any verbal instructions, they start telling me and I instantly zone out the first time for the whole thing. I have them repeat it slower trying to focus this time but they say the whole thing and I realize that even though I hear what they are saying my brain processes nothing. This can happen 3-4 times till I give up and just have them write it down or I manage to focus on key words like right or left, red or blue, up or down.

During sex, I zone out for 5 seconds or so and lose my erection. It is the same as when I am having a conversation with someone. This has happened multiple times with different girls. Not always losing the erection but that seems to be dependent on the length of time I am zoned out.

The only thing I have ever noticed to trigger it is stress. Sometimes when I am being yelled at to remember something I zone out for a couple seconds then my mind goes completely blank to where I dont remember, not only the thing that I normally know, but also anything else so that I can at least get it wrong. I just stand outside myself looking in, just starring at myself.

It isn't like I am focusing on something else. I just seems like my brain reboots and then I slowly get my thought process back as my brain starts back up.

Any ideas on what this might be or a way to avoid dissociation like this?