Dizziness and blacking out in a young 20 year old woman

Patient

Q: I am a 20 year old woman who for last 3 months has been having spells where I first get very hot, then dizzy. I then get very sick to my stomach and everything goes black and blurry. It usually last around 5 minutes. What could this be?

Doctor

A:   If is often very difficult to determine the cause of dizziness in a young adult. There could be several cause of dizziness, blurring of vision and blacking out. Dizziness is a complaint and may involve problems with the brain, inner ear, heart, blood vessels, lungs and certain neurological problems.
I would suggest that you see your healthcare provider to rule out problems such as benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, diabetes, anemia, orthostatic hypotension, hyperventilation syndrome and hypothyroidism. Treating the dizziness that accompanies these medical problems should always begin by identifying the underlying disease and treating it directly.