Do glucosamine and chondroitin regrow cartilage?

Patient : Will glucosamine and chondroitin regrow cartilage?
Doctor :    Glucosamine is a natural compound that is found in healthy cartilage. Glucosamine sulfate is a normal constituent of th he cartilage matrix and synovial fluid. There is currently evidence from randomized controlled trials that supports the use of glucosamine sulfate in the treatment of osteoarthritis, particularly of the knee. Glucosamine is commonly taken in combination with chondroitin, a glycosaminoglycan derived from articular cartilage. Several human studies and animal experiments report benefits of glucosamine in treating osteoarthritis of various joints of the body, although are less than that found for knee osteoarthritis. Some of these benefits include pain relief, possibly due to an anti-inflammatory effect of glucosamine, and improved joint function. But so far there is no conclusive evidence that taking glucosamine chondroitin are involved in the cartilage growing process.