Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Do I have a fish allergy?

Do I have a fish allergy?

Patient: I’ve never eaten any kind of fish before. I recently discovered I like grilled salmon. However whenever I eat grilled salmon I get stomach pains with an hour. They go away with no help within another hour or two. Does this mean I have an allergy and should stop eating or is my digestive system just getting used to the new food?

Symptoms: stomach pain

Doctor: Your symptoms could be due to intolerance to this particular type of fish. However, you may try having other varieties o f fish or sea food, but with caution. In case you are apprehensive, visit an Allergy specialist, to test your sensitivity for various types of seafood including different varieties of fish.