Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Do I have an allergy to Vitamin E

Do I have an allergy to Vitamin E

Patient: When I eat/use items containing Vitamin E I get a rash on the inside of my elbow. The skin becomes reddish and there are tiny red bumps. The more I eat/use the worse the rash is, a tiny bit doesn’t cause a problem. Do I have to worry about a severe reaction? Can a person even be allergic to Vitamin E?

Doctor: Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor. We are here to help you.Yes a person can be allergic to any thing.In fact few p eople are even allergic to medicines that we use to treat allergy!! So it’s not that Vitamin E allergy can’t be there. However, it’s just not common.I would in such case advice you to get an allergy patch test panel done and request them to include vitamin E in the test.If allergy is confirmed the best way out is to avoid these items that contains vitamin E.I hope it helps you.If you have any further query, please ask me.Stay Healthy.

Patient: So, if it only gives me a rash now, can it cause anaphylaxis at any time, or will it ONLY cause a rash?

Doctor: Hello. A rash is unlikely to cause anaphylaxis.
If a person develops generalized Urticaria then the possiblity of Anaphylaxis is there.
In case you develop any breathlessness, swelling over the lips then you need to go to ER, otherwise not.
Take care.