Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Do I have anemia or am I fine?

Do I have anemia or am I fine?

Patient: Why was I born so abnormally pale?Me and my older sister are both very pale. Even the doctor told my sister to get checked for anemia because he was shocked how pale she was. She got checked but she didn’t have it. So technically now my mum thinks that I don’t have anemia either because my sister doesn’t. I have very cold hands and feet and sometimes (not all the time) my hands go numb which happens when I wake up and I have to shake/rub them to get feeling back into them. My skin colour is weird too. All around my mouth looks to be either yellow or sometimes blue unless its the lighting and I’m seeing things. My mouth is always dry and my lips are always chapped but that’s because I hardly ever drink because when I do I always end up feeling sick so I’m always dehydrated. My stomach bloats a lot but I don’t think that has anything to do with it. At the moment my legs are acheing and my arms are too but again it might just be growing pains. I don’t really feel tired all the time unless I’m used to it that I don’t notice…Sorry it’s so long. I never go to the doctors unless its urgent. Im just scared of doctors. Im sorry if its a pointless question. Thankyou.Feel free not to answer the question if you think there is nothing wrong with me. I’m a bit of a hypochondriac.

Symptoms: Aches, cold hands/feet

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Any question regarding your health is an important question and is never considered pointle ss. This is why AskTheDoctor.com is here, to help answer all your medical questions, in a safe and comfortable platform.It is possible that all your presenting symptoms could indeed be due to anemia. Anemia is the reduction of red blood cells in the circulation due to various reasons such as iron deficiency, vitamin deficiencies, or even chronic disease. This would lead to weakness, lethargy, pallor (pale skin), and many more symptoms. In order to determine with certainty that you are suffering from a form of anemia, please go to your doctor to have a full examination. More importantly, you will be required to have a blood test performed to determine if you are indeed suffering from anemia. Once diagnosed you will be provided with the appropriate treatment. For example, if you are suffering from iron deficiency anemia, you can be prescribed iron supplements raise your iron levels back to normal levels. Please be guided accordingly.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com