Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Do I have chancroid?

Do I have chancroid?

Patient: I am dating a man exclusively, and have given him oral sex several times, and each time afterward, I develop painful sores inside my cheeks. The sores are white and heal and go away after a few days, and there are no other symptoms or irregularities. At first I thought this was just from the friction of my teeth, because he is on the larger side. This has never happened with anyone else I have engaged in oral sex with. We haven’t had intercourse yet, only oral sex. I’ve done some research – could this be chancroid? Or something else? Thank you so much for your help!

Symptoms: painful sores inside mouth

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is possible that you could have contracted a sexually transmitted infection from your pa rtner. However, chancroid is a very painful sexually transmitted infection caused by haemophilus ducreyi. There are other possible STIs that could be causing your symptoms which could range from syphilis, human papillomavirus, or herpes. Furthermore, the painful sores you are experiencing could be chancre sores, which are being caused by a reaction to any lubricants, or latex condoms that you may using during oral sex. We strongly recommend that you have this evaluated by your doctor and undergo STI testing to certain you have not contracted any infections.Thank you for choosing Askthedoctor.com