Do I have Clonus in the wrist?

Patient: I am not sure if I have Clonus in the wrist? When I flex my wrist up towards myself it starts shaking uncontrollably, but stops when I put it back. After I do this my hand becomes tingly and hot. What could this be?

Symptoms: Shaking of the wrist when I flex it upwards, then becomes hot and tingly.

Doctor: Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor. We are here to help you.The pattern you are describing fits into clonus only. Howe ver, another possibility is of Tremors.Many times tremors are being produced by flexion or extension of the wrist joint.The only way to differentiate is examination of Deep Tendon Reflexes (DTR).If the DTR are aggravated, then this is a sign of Upper Motor Neuron (UMN) lesion causing the Clonus.In that case, you would require an MRI of the brain.A lot many times, clonus type tremors are also seen in cases of Hyperthyroidism and Sever Calcium deficiency.So, you would require evaluation for thyroid and calcium levels too.So, see your doctor. Let him examine.On examining the DTR’s he would be able to tell you that what they are actually.If required, he would investigate you for the cause.I hope it helps you.If you have any further query, please ask me.