Do I have HIV?

Patient

Q: Hello. i am having some thoughts that i might have been exposed to HIV infection on 9th February. i did not have any symptoms. i had several test on different occasion on 25th February ,7th march,13th march. all of them were negative. on 14th march i had an appendectomy,then on 16th march i had a complete blood test,everything was normal even the HIV test was negative. do i have anything to worry about? i think when i had appendicitis,my immune system must have been weak,if i had HIV virus in my body,i would have had some signs and symptoms and even the blood test after my surgery would have been positive for HIV,right??? even my partner recently had a fever and sore throat and get tested,the test revealed negative.

HOPE TO GET A QUICK RESPONSE FROM YOU,THANK YOU. PLEASE KEEP MY MESSAGE CONFIDENTIAL. my email oscarvb21@gmail.com

Doctor

A:   Hello.
Welcome to Ask The Doctor.

HIV infection in case you have contracted would get evident in tests after 4--6 weeks of the exposure. This 4-6 weeks period is called as window period as the antibodies that show up in test takes time to appear after the exposure from HIV Virus. Since you have been tested multiple times even after 4-6 weeks of the exposure then the chances that you have HIV is very unlikely. As far as sings and symptoms are concerned, they are non specific and may even not appear soon.
So, my advice is that you should stop thinking that you are infected with HIV, else stress will cause you to loose weight and you will keep on thinking that what it is exactly.
I advice you to to be avoid such high risk activities in future, as every time you can't be lucky to not catch the infection.

I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy