Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Do I have rotator cuff tendonitis or a tear?

Do I have rotator cuff tendonitis or a tear?

Patient: Do I have rotator cuff tendonitis or a tear?

Symptoms: Aching pain after movement above head, very difficult and painful to put my arm above my head, goes numb while doing so. It has been going on for at least 6 months.

Doctor: You have complained of painful movement of shoulder joint with numbness. Tendinitis is usually continous in pain, but in itially pain is associated with few movements only. Tears are usualy associated with sudden pain where as chronic pains may be mild and gradually worsens in pain and movements. Tears usually have night pains which wake up the patient often. Both can be diagnosed by physical examination followed by a simple X-ray. MRI of shoulder joint is more definitive diagnostic tool. Consult an orthopedician for further advice and treatment.