Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Do I have severe symptoms of hand foot mouth disease?

Do I have severe symptoms of hand foot mouth disease?

Patient: I am 28 years old, and caught hand foot mouth disease. I have had it for 3 days. I had a fever the fist 2 days. Now i have red painful bumps all over my hands, up my arm and in my mouth. I also have them on my feet, nut those don’t hurt. Now i am experiencing, swollen lymph nodes on the lower back of my head. It’s also very tender, and just recently started aching. Should i be worried? I was going to just wait it out, but should i go to the emergency room?

Symptoms: Swollen lymph nodes, pain in lower back of head, red sore bumps all over hands, up arms and in my mouth.

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Hand, Foot, and Mouth disease is a self limiting viral infection caused by the Epstein Barr Virus. The treatment of this disease is generally supportive by treating the symptoms you are experiencing. Based on the the course of your infection, it is believed that your current symptoms are consistent with normal Hand, Foot, and Mouth symptoms. Should the pain in your neck worsen to the point where you are unable to move it normally, we recommend that you follow up with a visit to the emergency department. If you have contracted this illness and have not yet seen your doctor to be examined, it is important that you do so to start treatment of your symptoms so you can comfortably overcome this infection.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com