Do i have to taper off 1 mg xanax when

Patient

Q: Do i have to taper off 1 mg xanax when swithching to ambien cr 12.5 mg?

Symptoms:  None
Doctor

A:   Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor. We are here to help you.
Xabax (Alprazolam) is an Anti anxiety drug while Ambien (Zolpidem) is a hypnotic drug.
Mostly we use only one of the both and not both.
Ambien is mostly used for insomnia. Alprax being an anti anxiety drug also causes sedation.
So ideally Xanax should not be used with Ambien as it can cause excessive sedation if used together.
Now in cases where we also need to treat anxiety along with insomnia, we instead of Xanax use short acting drug like Etizolam with Ambien.
I suppose you should taper and stop Xanax before you start on Ambien.
Mostly we use Ambien only for short term treatment of insomia and later we stop it and start Xanax or Etizolam according to the clinical response.
I hope it helps.
If you have any further query, please ask me.
Stay Healthy.

Patient: What would a Xanax taper look like? How much and how often should I decrease the dose
Doctor: Hello. It all depends on since how long you are on it. Usually we cut it to half the dose and after a week to 1/4th and then stop it in next 7 days.
Take help of your doctor for that.
Good luck.