Do I have Vulvar Vestibulitis?

Patient: Hi, I am 25 years old and have been sexually active for about 10 years. For the last year and a half I have had a serious problem with my urethra. It’s EXTREMELY painful whenever it’s touched and for this reason I cant have sex and it really hurts when I pee. I have been to countless doctors who have tested for everything under the sun including STDs, infections, rips and tears. None of them have a clue and they all tell me that there is nothing more they can test for. They have used cameras and scans, everything!…The pain is just outside the urethra. I have done a lot of research myself, could it be Vulvar Vestibulitis? If so, do you know any ways to cure this? Many thanks, Rosie

Doctor: It is certainly possible that you have Vulvar Vestibulitis. This diagnosis is made only after the more common causes of chronic pain of the female genitals have been excluded. Unfortunately, there is no universally accepted treatment that cures this condition. There are a number of approaches to treatment, some which are listed below.Medications including estrogen creams, injectable anesthetics, antidepressantsChanges in diet (a low-oxalate diet may reduce symptoms)Avoidance of vulvar irritants such as soap, shampoos, laundry detergent. Use cotton underwear only.Education on the condition and potential psychological impact.It is best to discuss your symptoms with a gynecologist who has some experience treating this condition.