Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Do I keep my ovaries?

Do I keep my ovaries?

Patient: I am 46 and am scheduled for a hysterectomy next week. I can’t decide whether or not to keep my ovaries. There is cancer in my family (grandmother, aunt). One died of breast cancer and the other died of ovarian cancer.

Doctor: Due to the fact that your grandmother and aunt had history of ovarian and breast cancer, there is a small percentage of chance that you could have it too. This often seen due to mutation in two genes namely BRCA1 and BRCA2.I would suggest that you talk to your doctor/surgeon to see what is the best line of treatment in your case. I hope I could provide some information regarding your problem, I wish you well.