Do I keep my ovaries?

Patient

Q: I am 46 and am scheduled for a hysterectomy next week. I can't decide whether or not to keep my ovaries. There is cancer in my family (grandmother, aunt). One died of breast cancer and the other died of ovarian cancer.

Doctor

A:   Due to the fact that your grandmother and aunt had history of ovarian and breast cancer, there is a small percentage of chance that you could have it too. This often seen due to mutation in two genes namely BRCA1 and BRCA2.
I would suggest that you talk to your doctor/surgeon to see what is the best line of treatment in your case. I hope I could provide some information regarding your problem, I wish you well.