Do I need a pap for bacterial vaginosis medication?

Patient

Q: I have had bacterial vaginosis before, and am experiencing the symptoms again. Is it necessary to get a pap test to confirm? or will my doctor prescribe the medication without a pap? I have not been sexually active since my last pap test, so t can't be an STD. Thank you!

Doctor

A:   Pap smears are intended to screen for cancerous or pre-cancerous cells of the cervix. It may indicate presence of infection or the type of infection, which pose difficulty in the accurate analysis of the pap smear for the cancerous cells. Thus it is always advisable to treat the infection before going for a pap examination. Bacterial vaginosis is usually diagnosed clinically or KOH wet mount test or a whiff test, and treatment is directed accordingly.