Do I need a surgery for this kind of broken bone?

Patient

Q: I am 22 years old and I have a broken left leg bone which the doctor said I have to have a surgery for this type of broke or if I dont i will have a broken joint for like 5-10 years from now. but when I see another doctor, he said for this case you don't have to have a surgery or you can have a surgery. So, do I have to have surgery? plz look at the x ray film:

Doctor

A:   From your x-rays, you have an intra-articular fracture. This simply means that the portion of broken bone forms part of a joint. A potential long term complication of fractures of this nature is early arhtritis. As such, these types of fratures require special care to reduce the likelihood of this complication. I think your fracture would be best treated by surgery.